Friday, January 15, 2016

Follow-up: Create game content based on the Word/Phrase…

This exercise was originally posted at: http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2015/12/create-game-content-based-on-wordphrase.html

The Task

Create content for any computer of video game based on the word/phrase provided.

Random Word/Phrase

Wiskery

My Creation

Since this is the first game content exercise, I felt that I could pick any game. Additionally, I needed an easy one to figure out this month. My thoughts turned to RollerCoaster Tycoon and cat-related roller coasters. I originally did the work in RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, but I felt that RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 would be a better fit for this exercise.

I used the sandbox mode in RCT3 and imported the rides after I had created them in RCT2. The idea was to have the rides as whiskery as possible. I created a cluttered section of park with a group of three wooden wild mouse coaster rides, a group of three steel wooden wild mouse coaster rides, and a car ride with the Cheshire cats. All the rides went into a shared building (cats are generally indoor creatures).

Due to differences in how the games calculate data, I had to tweak all of the rides. This was done primarily by unchecking the low friction box and adjusting the speed of the chain lift.

As I was finishing up, I started thinking of the six roller coasters and how they could be viewed as whiskers in a seriously abstract cat-like layout. One building could be viewed as a nose and mouth. The big building could be viewed as higher up on the face. I added two air conditioners as scenery so they could be viewed as eyes if you can actually see a resemblance.



It looks like I used scenery from the Soaked expansion, so anyone who wants to look at my content would need RCT3 with the Soaked expansion. My save file can be found at: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2E6EFB80915ED5BD!9349&authkey=!AM6kkRZKNgE7vhY&ithint=file%2cdat

Notes

I have a confession to make. I'm usually a bit more random when selecting exercises. In this particlar case, I was working on the exercise during an abnormally busy stretch. Instead of picking the top item in a list, I selected one that I thought I could enjoy more than normal.

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise.

Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vw6RS-QDtbqTFuPOHiQTO3nYRMwg9jd7KMpfzYvzNyw/viewform?usp=send_form
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KDoHw0E1W87siqDEw17ypfUp1xbVxxHc4oiY48IpPz8/pubhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment