Sunday, December 15, 2013

Follow-up: Create an outfit in celebration of the words/phrases…

This exercise was originally posted at: http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2013/11/create-outfit-in-celebration-of.html

The Task

Create an outfit that seems suitable for a celebration related to the words/phrases provided.

 

Random Words/Phrases

abiliment
abloom

 

My Creation

To start, how would you celebrate “abloom?” To me, such a celebration would somehow correspond to flowers becoming abloom. In other words, plants first developing its flowers for the year. I wanted to reflect this change in the outfit.

Pants are the easy part. They would reflect the stem. In other words, any green pants would probably work. Shoes could match the stem, but brown to represent dirt might be better.

I imagine the peak of such a celebration corresponding to a transition. A relatively plain shirt would transform into something closer to a flower. Gravity could be used to aid the transition. I think that we would need to fold the outfit to keep from starting out too bulky. The outside (the color that appears when folded up) should probably be green, but they can include designs associated with the celebration. Perhaps a collar could be sent through loops of the outfit. When the collar is removed, the loops are no longer held up. The outfit would then unfold to reveal colorful semi-rigid petals.

A hat should probably be worn. After all, heads don’t usually maintain the color appropriate for the occasion. At the same time, I think it would be best to simplify. Effort for one transition is enough. This means that a hat should be flowery and colorful from the beginning. Due to the timing of such a celebration, it would probably be best to utilize fake flowers. Real flowers could be added if they are among the earlier blooming flowers.

The core concept could be shared among males and females, although males are less likely to enjoy flowery outfits. Shoes could be standard brown dress shoes for males and brown heels for females to elevate the flowers closer to the sky (flats would probably be acceptable). Males should wear plain green pants. Females would likely wear green leggings and a green skirt. The skirt would have points to suggest sepals. Shirts could be quite similar, but they could be adjusted for gender. For example, females could have sleeveless outfits with long green gloves (evening gloves). Hats could vary quite a bit and allow people to put the flowers in themselves, creating a touch of personalization to the outfit.

I should warn you. I don’t know how to draw. I don’t have any color pencils, pens, or anything else like that. Instead, I used my tablet. Even with a stylus, I can’t approach the precision of pencils or pens on a piece of paper. I knew that I couldn’t go from never drawing to something good on my tablet, so I didn’t try. The results: something that you would expect from a five-year-old (I’m kind of embarrassedembarassed by how bad my images turned out). This also means that my drawings won’t quite match my idea. Instead, I’m only providing something that can help with the gist of what I’m writing.

image_2012-11-03_184849image_2012-11-03_185455
image_2012-11-03_191550image_2012-11-03_191900

 

Notes

This is an exercise that really doesn’t fit who I am or what I like. I’m sure if I were Don Cherry, this exercise would have been easier for me. I feel that pushing outside of my comfort zone can have value, so I had no problems giving this one a try.

 

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise.

 

About Sharing

Anyone referring to my specific creation should give me credit. I will not demand credit for any creation that has been built on the reasoning behind my work. Unless otherwise specified, similar guidelines should apply to creations from other contributors.

 

Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHBpSk9hMF9VdDFZbnd5SDBlNXVJZFE6MA
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Agcdh--NHOS0dHBpSk9hMF9VdDFZbnd5SDBlNXVJZFE&output=html

No comments:

Post a Comment