Thursday, October 15, 2015

Follow-up: How do you feel that jobs you have had in the past, currently have, and will have in the future fail to represent who you are?

This exercise was originally posted at: http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2015/09/how-do-you-feel-that-jobs-you-have-had.html

The Task

Answer the question: How do you feel that jobs you have had in the past, currently have, and will have in the future fail to represent who you are?

I have always hated how people use jobs as shortcuts to learn who someone is. We are all more than our work, or at least I hope that we are. Explain key traits that clearly go beyond your job duties and how revealing your job can mislead the public about who you really are. Try not to limit your answer to just your present job. As an added challenge, I highly suggest that you do not explain what your job is. This will discourage others from jumping to conclusions about you.

As with all questions regarding who you are, this question is more challenging and more valuable if you are honest with yourself.


My Answer

On the job, I have always suppressed. A lot of this is because an overwhelming majority does not like my better side. A lot of this is due to the nature of independent thought. I have a tendency of deviating from what is socially acceptable. This means that I always act like a mindless drone when I am working even though I actually believe in living a mentally active lifestyle.

My core beliefs are among the things I suppress. How I define who I am is pretty much non-existent in any workplace. In fact, I am among the worst people to be defined by his work. Perhaps that's why I was drawn to this question.

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise.

Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VZ6UcEhtZoGie8bLhz4I0VYdh2qcOlp06fTHinrGNIU/viewform?usp=send_form
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17sCq3-2le60zTapEJ3Hp7S7Vhi9bHXZGiiUkpck6oJs/pubhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment