Monday, August 15, 2016

Follow-up: Why would you like to make a change?

This exercise was originally posted at: http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2016/07/why-would-you-like-to-make-change.html

The Task

Answer the question: Why would you like to make a change?

Pick at least one change that you would like to make from the exercise What would you like to change about yourself?. Explain your reasoning for wanting to make that change. You can include motivations, changes in your life that have made you change your priorities, how problems emerged, and anything else that you find relevant.

As with all questions regarding who you are, this question is more challenging and more valuable if you are honest with yourself.


My Answer to What would you like to change about yourself?

  • I want to draw out the real me.
  • I want to treat myself better.
  • I want to try new things.

My Answer to Why would you like to make a change?

I have decided to go ahead and address each of my three changes that I previously mentioned.

I want to draw out the real me.

When people learn anything about the real me, they turn against me. This is because I refuse to allow the mainstream to manipulate my beliefs and opinions. As a result, I don't always match what is socially acceptable. Because I frequently encounter mistreatment when I show who I really am, I live the bulk of my life as someone that I don't like.

Living the life of someone you hate is not the best way to live. I prefer who I am when I am away from the public. While I have tried to open up a little by posting to public (but not actively shared) blogs, I am still suppressing my better but less tolerated side. This is not a way to live, and I have been building up too much stress.

I want to treat myself better

Years ago, I made a comment about how I have probably already cut my life short by five years. Right now, I'm thinking that it might be closer to twenty. While I don't do anything particularly unhealthy, I haven't really lived a healthy life. Part of the reason for this is that I haven't really cared that much with how my life has worked out so far.

I need to turn my life around. If I can ever find a way to succeed, I don't want my life suddenly cut short because of how I have lived up to this point.

I want to try new things

I generally like the idea of change, but I struggle with the response to change. Because of this, I haven't experienced much of what the world has to offer.

My entire life should not be restricted by what I have been exposed to in the past. I should be moving forward. This is especially important when my current life isn't working well. I should be looking for ways to enjoy life despite my problems. I should be expanding my skill set.

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise.

Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf4tUAirUC0isDZDgM-U0iVCGMTs--pLW1I_Ci_aDva3LjvDQ/viewform?usp=send_form
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13WHiMjXD6mQWYMjYkxQbZPutAd6OVyxEJJkNcV6V6Po/pubhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment