Monday, July 15, 2013

Follow-up: Create a picture from the word/phrase...

This exercise was originally posted at:http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2013/06/create-picture-from-wordphrase.html

The Task

Create a picture from the random word/phrase provided.

Random Word/Phrase

Thomas Short

 

My Creation

Like I said before, I was uncomfortable with the subject of this exercise. The man in question is religious. I’m not. Instead of diving into the depths of religion, I tried to find some alternative. I looked at the general locations that he was involved with, sketched a very rough abstract of these locations, and looked for an everyday object that matched the sketch. I actually found a slight resemblance of Great Britain to a chair.

I wanted to find a way to represent his progression, so I decided on an X to cross approach. Where he was born, I taped an X. Where he went to college and took a few of his earlier church-related jobs, I found a shape between an X and a cross. Where he was a bishop, I gave him the cross. There were actually more locations than two, but I felt that the general areas of key components of his progression were close enough to the three locations. There was also a south to North component to his life that created a slight sense of moving up to the cross.

Mental Exercies

 

Notes

I would be shocked of nobody could come up with a better picture than I did. This exercise really hit a weak spot for me. Also, my concerns with the nature of this exercise was the primary factor in deciding to end my use of Wikipedia as a source for random words and phrases in Random Creativity exercises.

 

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise.


Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHRiN1BvNXItZ21ySjUwd3N6WUF2RXc6MA
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Agcdh--NHOS0dHRiN1BvNXItZ21ySjUwd3N6WUF2RXc&output=html

No comments:

Post a Comment