Monday, June 15, 2015

Follow-up: Draw to complete the image

This exercise was originally posted at: http://maritimeorca0.blogspot.com/2015/05/draw-to-complete-image.html

The Task

Print out the PDF from the link below. Draw in lines, shapes, and anything else you want to turn the printout into an image representing the random word or phrase provided. Try to incorporate existing lines and shapes.


Random Word/Phrase

Racketers

My Completed Work

Racketers is not a commonly used word. In fact, spell check is warning me as I type. I had to double check its meaning. Fortunately, the source I found (Wiktionary) seems to look at people who make a racket (noise) rather than people who use a racket (from racket sports). Seeing the flag (I believe Publisher called it a wave, and I shou
ld point at that I selected it randomly) made me think of some big event such as a parade.

On the right side of the image, I had a shaded oval by a rectangle. This could be a person looking out the window.

You can't exactly draw detail in a shaded oval. I decided instead to use that shape as a basis for the style of drawing. This is probably best since this style allows me to match what I had been given without actually having to be able to draw.

I extended a line down the flag and drew a stick figure to carry it. Ovals were used for hands and feet. The feet were drawn in a marching pattern. Two more stick figures were drawn with the same marching pattern. The character in front is blowing a horn while the character in back is playing a drum (or cymbals). These should be loud enough to help fit the random word.

The oval looking out the window wasn't enough. I added corny eyes to show direction. These are two partial empty ovals above the original shaded oval with small circles filled in at the top. I also added a quick stick figure shape to this character as well. I wanted him holding his ears. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a way to match the style and make ears obvious. Some people might not realize what he is doing.

I only drew this character's left leg. This is because he is on the right edge.Both feet would make him unbalanced. I felt that it would be best to leave the right leg off the edge of the image.

Notes

Like I said, this exercise might have been somewhat easy. This is because of the flag shape. An event like a parade seemed obvious to me. I should also point out that I learned my lesson after my horrible drawing for the abloom abiliment. This time, I actually drew on a printout instead of my tablet then scanned in my "work."

Feel Free to Comment

Now that this exercise has concluded, feel free to share any thoughts that you had regarding results, your approach, and any other ideas that popped in your head regarding this exercise. I do not provide space to those who visit my blog. If you would like to share your image, you are going to have to find your own online storage. At that point, you can provide links with your comments.

Upon completion of this exercise, please fill out the following form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oN-kIwkrMVpwnP5MY46cp3q7ofsStSqQt-bhxCYoaSY/viewform?usp=send_form
Responses to the above form are collected and stored in a spreadsheet that can be viewed at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RbAGw2NdDCzoNWd0Me542471gRoGm9Csw-usZkjJkQM/pubhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment